2020-2021 Grade 12 Timeline
Below is a list of important dates and and things to do during your Grade 12 year.
- Watch the YouTube video Mr. Phipps posted for important information for Grade 12 students from the EMCS Counselling Department.
- Review the Grad 2021 PowerPoint presentation from Mr. Phipps. (This is the powerpoint shown int the above video.)
- Follow the Grade 12 thread on the Wolverine App for important updates.
- If you want to receive announcements about scholarships and bursaries, join the Scholarships 2021 thread on the Wolverine App.
- If you are interested in representing your grad class and supporting the EMCS community, consider joining Leadership 12. See Ms. Williams for further details.
- Log on to your Student Transcripts Service (STS) account and check your transcript for accuracy.
- Look over the BC Graduation Requirements and make sure your are on track to graduate. See your School Counsellor if you have questions.
- Explore options for after high school e.g. work, travel, college, university, tech school, apprenticeship, … Make an appointment to see your School Counsellor about possible plans and options. Also meet with the Career Centre staff for assistance and to learn about many opportunities.
- Check post-secondary application deadlines and entrance requirements. Online application for many post-secondary schools opens in September. Many Camosun College programs are filled on a first come, first served basis, so it is best to apply early.
- Review the EMCS Grad List requirements. The Grad List will be posted at the start of May. Only students on the Grad List will be eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony, book ceremony tickets, and purchase prom tickets. Grad 2021 events will be planned in accordance with directions provided by the provincial health authority and are subject to change.
- If you plan to attend post-secondary in the USA, you may need to write the SAT or ACT. Register now.
- If English is not your first language, to apply for post-secondary you may need to register to write one of the following English assessments:
– IELTS Global Village in Victoria is the nearest IELTS test centre.
- If you are a top academic student, see your School Counsellor regarding some large scholarships that have deadlines in October and November.
- Attendance: Please remember that your school attendance will usually be considered as part of your scholarship and bursary applications. Even if applications do not ask about attendance, any teachers you ask to write reference letters will likely check your attendance. Please make sure that parents/guardians contact the office to excuse your absences if you miss school for a legitimate reason. Absences should be excused in a timely manner.
- October 30: Capstone Proposal & Mentor Forms due.
- Look at the schedule for post-secondary info sessions and register to attend. Check back regularly as the schedule will be updated throughout the year. During 2020-2021, post-secondary info sessions are taking place virtually.
- Purdy’s fundraising efforts begin. You can earn 25% of your individual sales to put towards your Grad fees and Prom tickets! Stay tuned for more info.
- Apply for post-secondary if you would like to begin your post-secondary studies next September. See your school counsellor if you would like help with the application.
- Log on to your Student Transcripts Service (STS) account and give consent for the Ministry of Education release your transcripts to the post-secondary schools to which you have applied (or will be applying). It is best to wait until mid-October (when all features of the STS are activated for current Gr. 12 students) to select which post-secondary schools will have electronic access to your transcripts
- Start researching scholarships, bursaries, and student loans. Begin working on your application materials.
- Are you taking an online or paper-based distance learning course? To get on the Grad List, any required distance learning courses must be totally complete. Make sure you are submitting work consistently throughout the school year. Note that many post-secondary schools have very early deadlines for distance learning courses that are required for admission.
- Consider borrowing your prom clothing (dress, tuxedo/suit, shoes, etc.) from the Magic Wand rather than buying. Why buy a Grad Tux, or Dress when you can borrow one? The Magic Wand is a non-profit organization that offers an eco-friendly and inexpensive alternative to purchasing grad outfits. You can borrow like-new grad dresses, tuxes, suits, shoes and accessories. A small fee for cleaning is the only cost. To book an appointment email Elizabeth at firstname.lastname@example.org or Joy at email@example.com. While appointments can be booked starting in October, we do not yet know what Prom is going to look like this year so we encourage students to hold off until more information is released.
- Check for the updated list of post-secondary info sessions taking place.
- November 18: Purdy’s fundraising closes.
- November 23: Capstone Activity Log #1 is due.
- First draft of your scholarship/bursary letter of application should be done.
- Transcript Verification Report: This report will be mailed home in late November or early December. The report contains your demographic information as well as completed courses, credits, and courses in progress. Ensure all information is accurate. See your School Counsellor if there are any errors on the report. The name on the TVR will be as it appears on your high school diploma which will be mailed to the address listed in the summer following graduation.
- December 4: Purdy’s pick up. Details to come.
- Book your session for Grad Photos on the Lifetouch website here.
- Complete any online or paper-based distance learning courses that must be finished by the beginning of Semester 2.
- Measure and your report height for your Grad Ceremony gown via this Google Form by January 25th.
- January 11-15: Grad Photos with Lifetouch. The mobile photo studio will be set up at EMCS.
- January 15: Capstone Activity Log #2 is due.
- Continue to check the Scholarship & Bursary section of the EMCS website.
- Complete your scholarship/bursary letter of application.
- If you failed a Semester 1 course, this may impact your ability to graduate and/or be admitted to post-secondary programs. See your School Counsellor if you have questions.
- January 31, 2021: University of Victoria application deadline.
- If you are planning to apply for student housing, application usually starts now.
- If you applied to the University of Victoria, self-report your marks between Feb. 15 and March 15. See the UVIC website for details.
- February 29: Capstone Activity Log #3 is due.
- March 9: Capstone Project approval deadline.
- Check the Scholarship & Bursary section of the EMCS website. MANY updates are usually made in March.
- April 1: Grad Comment Form available here. The deadline is April 27.
- April 6 at 8:45am: Applications for some Local scholarships/bursaries are due.
- April 7 to 30: Capstone Student Presentations. Students can NOT miss their scheduled time.
- April 27: Deadline to pay your Grad fee through Aimee in the EMCS office or School Cash Online.
– Price is TBD
- Applications for some Local scholarships/bursaries are due. Check the scholarship/bursary section of the website.
- Talk to Ms. McLellan or Ms. Williams if you are interested in singing Oh Canada at the Grad Ceremony
- Check the Scholarship & Bursary section of the EMCS website. MANY updates are usually made in April.
- See your School Counsellor if you require assistance the Grad-related expenses. e.g. prom, tuxedo, prom dress, etc.
- If necessary, apply for student loans at Student Aid BC.
- Be sure you are passing all your courses. If you are failing a required course on the April report card, your name will not be added to the Grad List until your teacher confirms your mark has been brought up to 50% or higher.
- May 3: The first version of the Grad List is posted. Click here for more information.
- May 3 at 8:45am: Applications for School and most Local scholarships/bursaries are due.
- If you were not on the first run of the Grad List, turn in your “Missing Grad List Requirements” form to your School Counsellor with the necessary signatures. Your name will be added to the Grad List once that form is turned in.
- May 25: Final Deadline for Grad List (no exceptions)
- May 28: Grad Rehearsal (tentaive and based on guidelines set by the Provincial Health Officer)
- June 15, 16, 17: Grad Ceremonies at EMCS (tentative and based on guidelines set by the Provincial Health Officer)
– After Grad, please return your v-stole to the main office at EMCS. If not returned, you will be charged a $40.00 replacement fee.
- June 25: Prom at the Empress Hotel (tentative and based on guidelines set by the Provincial Health Officer)
– The event will run from 7:00 – 11:00pm
– Parents must check-in with a Vice Principal before leaving
– Students must be in good standing with the school and follow our Code of Conduct for the duration of the event
Other Information for Grade 12 Students
BC Ministry of Education: Graduation Requirements