THANK YOU SOOKE!
On behalf of the Leadership class, we want to thank everyone who helped make Spring out of Hunger last night a huge success! Thank you, everyone who drove, sorted, and made delicious food for us! It could not have happened without you!
Through the hard work of the school and community we were able to raise 5700 food items for the Sooke Food Bank! Their shelves were looking a little bare so this amount will help immensely!
Also, Congratulations to Allana and Marin, the event leaders, for organizing their first Leadership event!
Daily Announcements for Thursday, April 26th
Pre-order your Yearbook! Today at lunch in the Commons, they are $45 each.
Any students wishing to join an EMCS golf team please sign up with Mr. Barrie in the gym. The team will golf Wednesdays after school at Demamiel Creek.
Rugby this week
Thursday: boys Home game!
Friday: girls away to Mt Doug
All graduating students, don’t forget to hand in your grad comment forms to the office by tomorrow. This form NEEDS to be completed in order for you to be on the grad list. Please see Ms. Williams if you have any questions.
National Day of Mourning – April 28. The National Day of Mourning, held annually in Canada on April 28, is dedicated to remembering those who have lost their lives, or suffered injury or illness on the job or due to a work-related tragedy. We will raise the canary flag on Friday April 27 at 8:15. All staff and students are encourage to attend.
AP Studio Art 12 Graduation Exhibit: Please come and support the graduating AP Art students at their very first gallery showing at the South Shore Gallery on Otter Pt. Rd.
Any Grade 9 or 10 students interested in marine science and technology are invited to attend an Ocean Science Symposium on May 4 & 5 at UVic . Registration is free, lunch is included. This is a great opportunity learn more about a variety of ocean topics and interact with experts in their field. Please see Mr. Vink or Mrs. Funk for more info or to sign up.
Transitioning to Camosun this Fall? Your first semester could be FREE! If you are considering Camosun this September, please come and see Kristy Caldwell in the seminar room on May 7th between 11:30 – 2. The sign up sheet is in the office.
UVIC Registration 101 – Wednesday, May 16; 2nd D block in Room 2029 All students who intend to study at UVIC should attend to learn how to plan your schedule, figure out what courses to take, and register in classes. Please sign up in advance on the sheet on Mr. Phipps’ office door.
The We Leadership Conference is from May 16-18th and is free! These conferences are a great way to build your leadership skills and hang out with youth who want to make a difference in their school and community.
For more information or to register for either of these conferences, please see Ms. White as soon as possible! All are welcome to go!
CAREER CENTRE: Volunteering, Apprenticeships, Jobs and Opportunities
Attention all students aged 14 to 17. The new 2018-19 Encounters With Canada opportunities for Canadian teens to check out future Career options in Ottawa are now open for registration. This is a great chance to meet other young people from across the country and spend an adventure-filled week in Ottawa for a cost of $750. This fee includes a round trip plane ticket, accommodation, and meals. The sessions do fill up quickly especially in the science, law, medical, first responders, and sports fitness career fields. Please contact the Career Centre for more information.
Volunteer opportunity – If you are interested in volunteering at the Women’s Series 7s at Westhills on May12th and 13th please email Noel Woodward and she will get back to you with more information. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sooke School District and Pacific Design Academy are partnering to offer a 4 week Graphic Design summer program for free! The program will be July 3rd, to July 30th. Please contact the Career Centre if you are interested in applying.
The Sooke Rotary Club are seeking volunteers to assist with their fundraising dinner on Saturday, May 12. Set up, decorations and live auction help requested. Sign up in the Career Centre
Attention to all students hoping to work at the Dockyards this summer, the positions have been announced. There are openings in the metal trades, hull trades, machinist, millwright, and electrical fields. The closing date for the applications is April 26. Please contact the Career Centre staff to pick up an application.
The Canadian Armed Forces Aboriginal Summer Programs application forms are now posted. Students must be 17 at the time the program begins but can apply when they are 16.
- There are two programs, one being the Bold Eagle (geared towards the Army), the other the Raven(geared towards the Navy).
- The Bold Eagle takes place in Wainwright, Alberta, while the Raven takes place in Esquimalt.
- Both programs are 6 weeks in length, running from July 5th to August 14th.
- The first week of the course is taught by Elders.
- The courses are designed to provide military training, leadership training, and cultural awareness.
- All expenses including travel, meals, and accommodations will be paid by the military.
- Upon completion of the course, students will receive $3500.
Please contact the Career Centre if you are interested in this program.
The Sooke Fine Arts Show has many opportunities to volunteer both before the show and during the event in the summer. There is also a paid position posted in the Career Centre. Drop in to sign up.
All students registered in Work Experience need to return their paperwork to the Career Centre. Please connect with your employer to get their signatures.
Weekly Job Postings – please check out the bulletin board outside the Career Centre.
Needing to create or update your resume? – the Career Centre is here to help. Adding a cover letter to your resume/application is a great way to stand out in the crowd as well.
SCHOLARSHIPS & BURSARIES
Applications due in April
- Harry DeSwagger Big Brothers / Big Sisters Scholarship
- Lower Island Soccer Association Scholarship
- Sooke Soccer Club Scholarship
- BC Hockey Scholarship
- Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund
- CUPE Local 459 Bursary
- Education Facility Managers Association of BC Bursary
- Jim Hebden Chemistry Bursary
- Ken Dryden Scholarship
- Michael Potter / Rotary Club of Victoria Harbourside Bursary
- Victoria Diocesan Catholic Women’s League Bursary
- Juan de Fuca Soccer Association Dirk Darley Scholarship
Applications due in May
- School Awards Applications (May 7, 8:45am to Mr. Phipps)
- Most Local Awards applications (May 7, 8:45am to Mr. Phipps)
- Sooke Minor Fastball Finn Kennedy Bursary
- Sooke Minor Fastball Bertha Hanna Bursary
- UFCW & OFG Joint Diversity Scholarship
- The Federation of Community Social Services of BC Youth Education Bursary
- Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary
- Sooke Principals’ and Vice Principals’ Association Scholarship
- CST Scholarships and Bursaries
- Judy Bourne Memorial Scholarships
- Orchid Bursary
- Grad Council – meeting at lunch in room 2033
- Elder Linda Bristol is here from 10:15-3:15; bring your own mug and join her at lunch for tea.
- Badminton – Monday & Wednesday after school
- Girls soccer – practice after school 3:30–4:30
- Wellness Clinic – 12-3:30pm
- Senior and Junior Musical Theatre vocal rehearsal Wednesdays at lunch in the theatre.
- The EMCS Library – will not be open on Wednesdays for the rest of the term during lunch.
- Band – will be rehearsing today after school.
- EMCS Tech Team meets every Wednesday after school in the theatre.
- Badminton – Monday & Wednesday after school
- Band – will be rehearsing today at lunch.