Daily Announcements for Wednesday, May 23rd
Prom Consent Forms – the deadline to hand in consents has been extended until Thursday.
Grad Ceremony Tickets – the deadline for getting on the Grad List is May 25. Once you are on the Grad List, you or your family may contact UVIC to book up to 6 tickets for the ceremony. For students on the Grad List needing more than 6 tickets, additional tickets will be available MAY 25, 2018.
Mr Moldowan and Mr Smith invite B Block classes to come to the upper commons outside Ms Anderson and Mr Moldowan’s classroom on Thursday the 24th during B-Block to check out their 20th century Inquiry Projects. From Biggie Smalls to Scottish Mythical creates, come learn about peoples, events and stories that shaped our modern world!
The EMCS Leadership team is putting on a special screening of the Disney Pixar movie, The Incredibles this Thursday, May 24th at 7pm in the theatre. Everyone is welcome. Entry is by donation. Come watch the film on the big screen before The Incredibles 2 comes out in June!
EMCS Musical Theatre, Film and Art present….’Grease’
June 6-9 at the EMCS Theatre
Tickets are on sale for $10 each and are available for purchase in the office by cash or cheque made payable to SD#62. Tickets can also be purchased through school cash online: https://sd62.schoolcashonline.com/
Please save your bottles! EMCS Leadership is having a bottle drive next Saturday, May 26th from 9-3pm at the school to raise money for Fun Day. Volunteers and drivers are still needed. Please speak to Cassidy Hull or Ms. White if you would like to help!
Sooke Fine Arts Show 2018 Deadline for entries to the Student exhibit at this year’s Sooke Fine Arts show is approaching. There is a small entry form available from Ms. Garat that must be filled out for each entry. Please have your pieces with the entry form attached, to Ms. Garat by June 1st.
CAREER CENTRE: Volunteering, Apprenticeships, Jobs and Opportunities
Attention all students aged 14 to 17. The new 2018-19 Encounters With Canada opportunities for Canadian teens to check out future Career options in Ottawa are now open for registration. This is a great chance to meet other young people from across the country and spend an adventure-filled week in Ottawa for a cost of $750. This fee includes a round trip plane ticket, accommodation, and meals. The sessions do fill up quickly especially in the science, law, medical, first responders, and sports fitness career fields. Please contact the Career Centre for more information.
The Canadian Armed Forces Aboriginal Summer Programs application forms are now posted. Students must be 17 at the time the program begins but can apply when they are 16.
- There are two programs, one being the Bold Eagle (geared towards the Army), the other the Raven(geared towards the Navy).
- The Bold Eagle takes place in Wainwright, Alberta, while the Raven takes place in Esquimalt.
- Both programs are 6 weeks in length, running from July 5th to August 14th.
- The first week of the course is taught by Elders.
- The courses are designed to provide military training, leadership training, and cultural awareness.
- All expenses including travel, meals, and accommodations will be paid by the military.
- Upon completion of the course, students will receive $3500.
Please contact the Career Centre if you are interested in this program.
The Sooke Fine Arts Show has many opportunities to volunteer both before the show and during the event in the summer. There is also a paid position posted in the Career Centre. Drop in to sign up.
Weekly Job Postings – please check out the bulletin board outside the Career Centre.
Needing to create or update your resume? – the Career Centre is here to help. Adding a cover letter to your resume/application is a great way to stand out in the crowd as well.
SCHOLARSHIPS & BURSARIES
Sooke Fine Arts Scholarship
The application deadline has been extended until May 28. Updated info and application forms can be found in the EXTERNAL AWARDS drawer of the scholarship filing cabinet in the counselling centre.
The EMCS Awards database has been updated. Three new scholarships have been added:
- Reid Kyfiuk Memorial Scholarship (application due Thursday May 31 at NOON to Mr. Phipps)
- Ron Warder Memorial Scholarship (application due Monday May 28 to Mr. Phipps)
- Constable Sarah Beckett Memorial Scholarship (application due June 30)
Applications due in May
- Sooke Minor Fastball Finn Kennedy Bursary
- Sooke Minor Fastball Bertha Hanna Bursary
- UFCW & OFG Joint Diversity Scholarship
- The Federation of Community Social Services of BC Youth Education Bursary
- Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary
- Sooke Principals’ and Vice Principals’ Association Scholarship
- CST Scholarships and Bursaries
- Judy Bourne Memorial Scholarships
- Orchid Bursary
- Grad Council – meeting at lunch in room 2033
- Elder Linda Bristol is here from 10:15-3:15; bring your own mug and join her at lunch for tea
- Wellness Clinic – 12-3:30pm
- Senior and Junior Musical Theatre vocal rehearsal Wednesdays at lunch in the theatre
- The EMCS Library – will not be open on Wednesdays for the rest of the term during lunch
- Band – will be rehearsing today after school
- EMCS Tech Team meets every Wednesday after school in the theatre
- Golf Team – practice after school at Demamiel Creek Golf Course
- Band – will be rehearsing today at lunch.