Course Selection for 2020 – 2021
Welcome to EMCS!
The information on this page provides the information you need to make informed choices for Grade 9. At EMCS, we build the school’s schedule based on students’ course requests and do our very best to schedule students in all the courses they request. Please don’t hesitate to contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions.
Important reminders for Current Journey Middle School Students
- Course selection worksheets should be completed and turned into your Gr. 8 teacher at Journey by January 27.
- EMCS office staff will meet with Grade 8 classes at Journey between Jan. 27 and 31 to help you enter your requests into your MyEducationBC Student Portal. Submit your course requests no later than January 31.
- Students who submit their course requests late are less likely to receive their first choice of electives.
How Many Courses Do Students Select for Grade 9?
All students should select 9 courses within the regular timetable. Students must also select alternate (back-up) elective choices. English program students select 3 alternate (back-up) elective courses and Immersion students select 2.
Remember that Band and other “outside timetable” classes take place after school and/or at lunch, and are therefore selections in addition to the usual 9.
Making Informed Choices
Students should select courses based on their interests and abilities rather than based on what their friends are selecting. It is important that students read through the course description information in Course Booklet with their parents/guardians so they make informed choices. The EMCS schedule is built based on student course requests. It is very difficult to make changes to student schedules in September.
French 9 and Spanish 9 are electives students may wish to consider. Please keep in mind that a second language to the Grade 11 level is required for direct entry into the University of BC and Simon Fraser University.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to talk to their child’s Grade 8 teacher about things like:
– is a Learning Support class recommended?
– is Introductory Math 9 recommended?
EMCS Open House and Course Fair on Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 6:00pm.
This is a your opportunity to learn more about the courses offered at EMCS, meet staff, and ask lots of questions. All students are encouraged to attend with parents and guardians.
The Course Selection PowerPoint Presentation for Grade 8 classes is available below:
- Course Selection PowerPoint Presentation for Students Entering Grade 9 (updated info posted soon)
Please contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions about course selection.
– Sharon Jesson (last names A – L) firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-642-5211 ext. 1185
– Allan Phipps (last names M – Z) email@example.com, 250-642-5211 ext. 1183
Course Selection Deadline
Current Grade 8 students at Journey Middle School should submit their course requests on the MyEdBC Student Portal no later than January 31.
Students who submit their course selection late are less likely to receive their first choice of electives.
Course Booklet and Course Selection Form 2020-2021
- EMCS Course Booklet (Course Descriptions)
- Course Selection Worksheet for students entering Grade 9 – English
- Course Selection Worksheet for students entering Grade 9 – French Immersion