Course Selection for 2021 – 2022
for Students Entering Grade 9
Welcome to EMCS!
The information on this page provides the information you need to make informed choices for Grade 9. At EMCS, we build the school’s schedule based on students’ course requests and do our very best to schedule students in all the courses they request. Please don’t hesitate to contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions. We are looking forward to having you join us in September.
How Many Courses Do Students Select for Grade 9?
- 9 “primary” requests
- 3 “alternate” (back-up) requests. Students may be scheduled in an alternate course if they are unable to take one of their primary elective choices due to class size limits, class conflicts, etc.
- Plus any additional “outside timetable” classes (Band, Leadership, Rugby) which take place after school and/or at lunch.
Making Informed Choices
Students should select courses based on their interests and abilities rather than based on what their friends are selecting. It is important that students read through the course descriptions with their parents/guardians so they make informed choices. The EMCS schedule is built based on student course requests and it is very difficult to make changes to student schedules in September.
French 9 and Spanish 9 are electives students may wish to consider. Please keep in mind that a second language to the Grade 11 level is required for direct entry into the University of BC and Simon Fraser University.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to talk to their child’s Grade 8 teacher about things like:
- is Introductory Math 9 recommended?
- is a second language recommended?
Do You Have Questions?
Please contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions about course selection.
- Sharon Jesson (last names A – L) firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-642-5211 ext. 1185
- Allan Phipps (last names M – Z) email@example.com, 250-642-5211 ext. 1183
Your current Grade 8 teachers are also a good source of support and will be able to offer advice and answer many of your questions about course selection.
Course Selection Steps
2. Read Course Descriptions.
3. Watch EMCS Virtual Tour to learn more about the school and course offerings.
4. Participate in the Virtual Q & A meetings.
- Thursday, January 28 at 9:30am: meeting during the school day for Grade 8 students and teachers.
- Thursday, January 28 at 7:00pm: evening meeting for Grade 8 students and parents/guardians.
5. Fill in your Course Selection Worksheet and have it reviewed by your teacher by Feb. 1.
- Course Selection Worksheet for students entering Grade 9 – English
- Course Selection Worksheet for students entering Grade 9 – French Immersion
6. Read the MyEdBC Student Portal Instructions that were mailed home. Log in to your MyEdBC Student Portal account using the MyEducationBC link below. The course selection feature in your Student Portal account will be available between Feb. 1 and Feb. 16.
7. Submit your course requests in the Student Portal by February 16. EMCS staff will visit Journey classes between Feb. 1 and 11 to assist students with logging on and selecting courses.
- Select 9 primary requests.
- Select any additional “outside timetable courses” you would like (optional).
- Select 3 alternate requests. These must be different from your primary requests.
Course Selection Deadline
Current Grade 8 students at Journey Middle School should submit their course requests on the MyEdBC Student Portal no later than Febrary 16, 2021.
Students who submit their course selection late are less likely to receive their first choice of electives.