Course Selection for 2019 – 2020
Welcome to EMCS!
The information on this page provides the information you need to make informed choices for Grade 9. At EMCS, we build the school’s schedule based on students’ course requests and do our very best to schedule students in all the courses they request. Please don’t hesitate to contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions.
- Course selection forms are due on February 7.
- Current Grade 8 students at Journey Middle School are to turn in their completed course selection form to their Grade 8 teacher.
- Students who turn in course selection forms late are less likely to receive their first choice of electives.
How Many Courses Do Students Select for Grade 9?
All students should select 9 courses within the regular timetable PLUS 3 alternate (back-up) courses. Remember that Band classes take place outside the regular timetable and would be selections in addition to the usual 9.
Making Informed Choices
Students should select courses based on their interests and abilities rather than based on what their friends are selecting. It is important that students read through the course description information in Course Booklet with their parents/guardians so they make informed choices. The EMCS schedule is built based on student course requests. It is very difficult to make changes to student schedules in September.
French 9 and Spanish 9 are electives students may wish to consider. Please keep in mind that a second language to the Grade 11 level is required for direct entry into the University of BC and Simon Fraser University.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to talk to their child’s Grade 8 teacher about things like:
– is a Learning Support class recommended?
– is Introductory Math 9 recommended?
EMCS Open House and Course Fair on Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 6:00pm.
This is a your opportunity to learn more about the courses offered at EMCS, meet staff, and ask lots of questions. All students are encouraged to attend with parents and guardians.
The Course Selection PowerPoint Presentation for Grade 8 classes is available below:
Please contact EMCS School Counsellors if you have any questions about course selection.
– Sharon Jesson (last names A – L) email@example.com, 250-642-5211 ext. 1185
– Allan Phipps (last names M – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-642-5211 ext. 1183
Course Selection Deadline
Current Grade 8 students at Journey Middle School should complete course selection by February 7.
Students who turn in course selection forms late are less likely to receive their first choice of electives.
Course Booklet and Course Selection Form 2019-2020
- EMCS Course Handbook 2019-2020
- Course Selection Form for students entering Grade 9 – English
- Course Selection Form for students entering Grade 9 – French Immersion