Students are assigned to a Counsellor by last name…
students with last names A to L
(250) 642-5211 Ext. 1185
students with last names M to Z & International Students
(250) 642-5211 Ext. 1183
Services offered by School Counsellors include:
- Personal counselling for issues such as depression, stress, anxiety, relationship concerns, family conflict, substance abuse, self-esteem, etc.
- Academic advising and scheduling
- Career exploration
- Post secondary planning
- Transition and orientation information and support for incoming students
- Referral to outside agencies
- Information regarding special opportunities e.g. Encounters with Canada, Rotary-sponsored adventures, Shad Valley, student travel, …
Personal information students share with School Counsellors is confidential with the following exceptions:
- consent: if the student consents to the sharing of information
- potential harm: if there is a risk of harm to the student or someone else
- child protection: If the Counsellor believes someone under the age of 19 may be in need of protection, the Counsellor must make a report to the appropriate authorities.
- legal requirements: Counsellors may be required to provide records in compliance with the law.
- consultation and collaboration: Counsellors may consult and collaborate with other professionals regarding cases for the purposes of more effectively helping the student.
How to make an appointment
To make an appointment with your School Counsellor, see the secretary in the front office.
If you have an emergency situation and your Counsellor is unavailable please let another staff member in the office or Counselling Centre know.
Students should inform their teacher if they are missing class to see their Counsellor, and are responsible for work assigned during classes missed for counselling.
Course Change Process at EMCS
All requests for timetable changes are made by submitting a Request for Timetable Change form to the office, complete with PARENT SIGNATURE.
These forms are available at the main office. The deadline for requesting timetable changes is usually the last day of the first week of classes each semester. Listen for announcements regarding deadlines.
STUDENTS ARE TO ATTEND THEIR CLASSES AS SCHEDULED UNTIL REQUESTS FOR CHANGES ARE REVIEWED BY COUNSELLORS.